Monday, October 17, 2011

I make stupid faces!

So this week, I decided to experiment further, and actually film myself doing Blotto's expression for shot 73. I put an hour aside, went on into Photo Booth, made sure I was by myself, and then did several takes of me doing rather silly expressions. My main challenge was animating Blotto's face to go from over-exaggerated joy to crushing disappointment. Here's the video, with the end result included!


The other challenge I realized I had to overcome was Blotto's ears, and what happens when he turns his head, while his body stays in place. His ears would have to come over his shoulder at some point. So I just had it sort of catch on his shoulder and then flip over to the other side. The video explains it a lot better than I do.

Did a couple other shots, and now working on rewriting my script.

4 comments:

  1. This is SO GOOD!!! The acting is magnificent and it comes across so well in the animation. I am really impressed! Amazing job, Tom! I also love the idea of the ears drooping if you decide to add them. Great, great work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Real smooth, looks cool.

    I don't think the ear thing is totally working though. The flop occurs over too few frames, and because the lines are straight and rigid, it strobes and creates an eyetrap. I think if you treated the ear as if it was more limp, instead of stiff, and stretched the flop out over more frames, that might work better.

    Although, I probably wouldn't have noticed the ear if you didn't bring it up, so it's not really a huge deal.

    Also, it looks like the ear maybe disappears for a frame towards the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome work Tom! The acting and animation is great.

    If you want to create more work for yourself, you can also animate more of the tail. When he is excited, you can make his upper tail wag slowly left and right. When he turns sad, either keep the tail the way you have it or lower it down.

    Everything else is perfect. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Sean's comment regarding the tail. You can say a lot with very little motion.

    ReplyDelete