Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Art Direction

Hey, all!

So I screened a rough version of The High Five Apprentice for a seminar a couple weeks back and, to my relief, there was an incredibly good response from the audience during and after the film. After receiving some critiques from the audience, I realize that the main aspect of my film I need to work on is my art direction, especially that of the High Five Realm, and I agree. It looks a little bland and could stand to use some improvement (though keep in mind that I still need to insert textures into the backgrounds). I searched 'handscape' in google image and got this interesting result:

While I probably won't go as overboard with hands as this guy did, it serves as some really good inspiration in terms of how much hand-related visual images I can extract out of a background.

Also, I've talked with my Directed Studies prof Tom Sito from time to time and he mentioned Pepper Land from The Yellow Submarine, as it carries similar aspects of the High Five Realm except it's about 100 times more absurdly abstract. Here's an example.


So yes, that's the news for now. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

1 comment: